Meghan Markle’s life is about to change in a major way. That’s what happens when you marry a prince. Though many of these changes are fantasy-like and are very exciting, some of them will be difficult.
Marrying into royalty can seem like a dream come true, but that doesn’t mean that Meghan Markle is not making many sacrifices as well. Unlike Kate Middleton who grew up in England, Meghan Markle comes from an entirely different country and culture and she will be leaving behind.
Here is a list of several ways that Meghan Markle’s life is going to change after she walks down the aisle:
1) Social media: The royal family is off the grid when it comes to social media. Although they have official accounts, they don’t have personal ones. This is to maintain their image and safeguard their privacy.
2) Her citizenship status: After her marriage, Meghan Markle’s life will be in England. Once she marries into the monarchy, she will be given a U.K. citizenship. However, she can still apply for dual citizenship status to maintain her U.S. citizenship.
3) One of her dogs: This is one of the more heartbreaking changes. Though she will be bringing her beagle named Guy, she will have to leave behind her Labrador-Shepherd mix whose name is Bogart because he is too old to make the move with her.
4) Her acting career: Markle, whose breakout role was on the hit series Suits, will have to say farewell to the show and her acting career once she is married. Being a royal is a full-time job.
5) Her lifestyle website: Meghan Markle recently shut down her lifestyle blog “The Tig”, after three years. In the touching farewell letter to her readers, she wrote: “What began as a passion project (my little engine that could) evolved into an amazing community of inspiration, support, fun, and frivolity. You’ve made my days brighter and filled this experience with so much joy.”
6) Her clothing line: Not everyone is aware that Meghan Markle guest-designed her own clothing line with the clothing retailer Reitmans. Now that she is becoming a royal, it is unlikely that she will continue with the venture.
7) She can’t be active in politics: Previously, Meghan Markle has been very active and outspoken on political and social issues. Kensington Palace also confirmed that she will have to give up her charity work with the United Nations, along with her role as patron of organizations including World Vision Canada and One Young World.
8) And lastly… Her title will change: This is a part of the fairytale bit, Meghan Markle’s marriage into the monarchy means she will be given her very own long and formal title. She’ll either be addressed as Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales, or the Duchess of Sussex.