Hollywood actors and celebrities are some of the highest paid professionals the world has to offer. Very few make it to the top, and often it’s not a question of talent but a question of luck. These are the top-grossing actors of 2017 according to Forbes magazine.
It’s hard to imagine just how much money some of these actors make, but it’s not surprising that men are still the top earners, showing further proof that there is a pay gap between men and women. The following list is not based on actual wages earned, rather it is based on the total box office success of their films (as reported by Box Office Mojo, a box-office reporting service owned by IMDB).
Perhaps 2018 will prove to be different, but for now here is a list of the top grossing actors of 2017 according to Forbes.
There’s no doubt that 2017 sought our fair share of big blockbuster hits as well as critically acclaimed films that make you think. The following 10 actors made the most money for studios last year, proving their place in the history of highest paid actors in Hollywood.
10) John Boyega: The breakout Star Wars: Force Awakens star earned studios $815 million dollars in 2017 after reprising his role as Finn in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Boyega also starred in The Circle beside Tom Hanks, Detroit, and finished filming Pacific Rim: Uprising set to release in 2018.
9) Chris Hemsworth: Last year the Thor star raked in $845 million in global gross for his work on Thor: Ragnarok, filming on Avengers: Infinity War, and 12 Strong set to release in 2018.
8) Chris Pratt: The former Parks and Rec star is quickly becoming one of the biggest stars on the big screen. Last year Pratt starred in the sequel Guardians Of The Galaxy: Vol 2, as well as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom which is set to release in 2018. Pratt’s performances earned global receipts worth a total of $864 million dollars.
7) Tom Holland: The breakout Spiderman: Homecoming star also finished filming on Avengers: Infinity War set to release in 2018, as well as Chaos Walking, and The Current War. Holland’s performances grossed $888 million dollars.
6) Daisy Ridley: The breakout Star Wars: The Force Awakens star’s performances earned $1.08 Billion dollars in global receipts last year with Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Murder On The Orient Express.
5) Johnny Depp: Last year Depp brought in $1.1 Billion dollars for studios for his roles in Murder On The Orient Express, as well as reprising his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.
4) Emma Watson: The former Harry Potter star is certainly making a name for herself as one of the highest paid female actresses in Hollywood, after starring in The Circle with Tom Hanks, as well as Disney’s Beauty And The Beast, earning studios a grand total of $1.3 billion dollars.
3) Gal Gadot: Hollywood’s breakout star of the 2017 smash hit Wonder Woman also starred in Justice League in the same year, earning $1.4 billion dollars in global receipts, putting her as the highest paid female actor in Hollywood. Perhaps one day soon, women will be at the top of this list. Perhaps 2018 will change this!
2) Dwayne Johnson: The former WWE wrestler earned studios a staggering $1.5 billion dollars last year in 2017 and it’s no real surprise why. Dwayne was a busy guy, starring in four different movies, a Pixar short, and two tv shows, including Seven Bucks Digital Studios (TV), Ballers (TV), Gone Fishing (short), Fate of the Furious, Baywatch, and Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle.
1) Vin Diesel: Action star Vin Diesel has risen to the top of this list as the highest grossing actor of 2017 by earning film studios $1.6 billion dollars in global gross. This total includes the box-office revenue earned by xXx: Return of Xander Cage, Fate Of The Furious, and Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 (where Diesel played Groot).
After the Golden Globes ceremony, one has to wonder who will win the Oscars for the best acting roles which will no doubt turn this entire list differently in 2018. With the Oscars around the corner, one might speculate which actors the studios will decide to cast in their upcoming films. But it’s clear who the real breadwinners are in this industry right now!